1. Monitor the production of food items to ensure they are in compliance with the prescribed recipes and specifications.
2. Determine the required mise-en-place according to menu orders and check the store requisitions prepared by subordinates. Ensure the received products meet the predetermined quality and purchase specifications.
3. Ensure all food products are stored properly in their appropriate fridges and storage containers throughout shift.
4. Adhere to all the standards of food presentation, production, and portioning controls.
5. Ensure proper storage and rotation of all food items relating to your work area.
6. Ensure all fridges and food storage areas are impeccably maintained during service and that all products are properly rotated, dated, and stored at end of your shift.
7. Co-ordinate with main kitchen, pastry and butchery to ensure that there is sufficient supply of high quality mis en place for next shift.
8. Attend all Sous chef meetings and pass on information to culinary colleagues
9. In charge of making and revising all basic recipes in coordination with the Chef de Cuisine
10. Check that all stations are properly set prior to service to ensure a smooth service period (and make the necessary corrections if needed)
11. Be present and assist with the preparation of food
12. Update menu recipe cards and menu planning for promotion
13. Able to demonstrate a professional attitude when dealing with all colleagues and train them to consistently adhere to the quality standards of the culinary department at all times.
14. Ensure safe and proper use of equipment at all times and to instruct this to all culinary colleagues
15. Conduct staff training and on-the-job training on kitchen skills and new menu items
16. Ensure staff adhere to hotel regulations re: fire, safety and emergency procedures
17. To be aware of and adhere to company policies and statutory requirements with regards to health and safety, sanitation, fire procedures and HACCP.
18.Ensure food is handled in a respectful manner and is processed and stored in accordance with HACCP.
19. Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and sanitation in and around all culinary work areas .and ensure that all colleagues clean their stations after every service.